Train the Trainer Course – What do you need to focus on?
The Five Keys to an Effective Train the Trainer Course
1. Start with the Purpose of a Trainer
Decide what the role of a trainer is for you. Are you there to develop skills? Or to change attitude? Is your job to pass on knowledge? Work out the answers to these questions so you can determine what type of Train the Trainer course you need.
It is rare for a training course to only need knowledge passing on. If this is truly the situation then it is probably cheaper and more effective to send the information as an email attachment.
If you are a skills trainer, you need the ability to demonstrate the skills required and to then guide others to develop that skill.
As an attitudinal trainer, you need to learn about individual and group psychology to manage the potential resistance to change. In addition, you need to be able to facilitate as well as train.
2. Consider Learning Psychology
A working understanding of learning psychology will enable the trainer to more effectively manage the learners whilst they are training them because they can respond to situations as they start to develop.
3. Develop Objectives and an Assessment Process
Trainers needs to be able to design behaviour based objectives and realistic assessments to measure the course outcomes. All training can be measured in some way.
Your learners need to work towards a set of behaviour based objectives so that they know when they have achieved them or not achieved them.
4. Create Content to Support the Objectives
The content should relate to each of your objectives. Content not connected to an objective should be left out.
Your content is the journey of learning.
5. Make it interactive
Nobody learns by having a load of Powerpoint bullet points read out to them! That’s not training; that’s just plain lazy! Engage with your learners and work with the different senses.
Learning is fun. A good train the trainer course will demonstrate how learner centred learning and the use of learning psychology makes the training enjoyable, interesting and enables the learning to be remembered.
Want to experience a Train the Trainer course
that covers all five areas?
Download The Eight Secrets for Delivering World Class Training E-book now
A Typical Train the Trainer Course
This is a typical train the trainer training course. It is aimed at those new to training to enable them to make an effective contribution to the training and development of others. It will give trainers the basic skills and knowledge needed as a foundation from which they can later develop further specialist skills of identifying training needs, training design, training facilitation and training evaluation.
The course content and duration will be dependent upon the specific needs of the organisation.
Train the Trainer Suggested Course Outline
- Write learning aims and objectives in accordance with best practice
- Analyse tasks and design training activities to facilitate the learning of those tasks
- Create training which works with all the different learning styles
- Instruct on a one to one or small group basis using appropriate demonstration and constructive feedback skills.
- Facilitate a group training session which uses activities such as role play, simulation or group discussion.
- Assess and evaluate immediate learning.
This typical Train the Trainer course is ideal for people who are new to training or people who have found themselves carrying out training with no or little previous development in train the trainer.
The course will include:
- Examination of the psychology of how adults learn
- An introduction to training needs analysis
- A framework for designing a training session
- Instruction in writing the behavioural objectives and creating a measurable assessment process
- Some practise in delivering a training session
- Constructive feedback for each person attending.
A Train the Trainer course similar to this outline is currently running as an open course.
Train the Trainer – Additional Options
For more information about our tailored training courses
call 01604 810 801 or click here to contact us